Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Blah!

I am not sure what went wrong. These all started out blue (you saw it in the last post!) but then faded to gray. The silk hankies and the wool are the worst. The cotton/silk/tencel was a little better (I actually like the color). I have read that if you heat the leaves to over 70 degrees c you will get tans. I had a thermometer and I don't think I ever went over 70. Also, Tara suggested that maybe the chemicals (washing soda and color run remover) were old. This is true. I should have gotten fresh chemicals. Maybe that was it. Something was definitely off. Dyeing must be one of those things that takes a lot of experience and a sort of sixth-sense about when things seem right or not. Ah well. Now I will have to think of a way to over-dye the wools and silk. I do have those elderberries that Hal picked for me a while back taking up space in my freezer...

1 comment:

tara said...

Oooohhhhhh, but the two on the bottom - hmmmm, my colors. I love them!