Sunday, May 15, 2011

Elizabeth Zimmermann's Yoke Sweater

A big, big thank you to Wendy and Jennifer for their advice on the collar and decreases! I think it turned out pretty great (see the pre-advice debacle below). And I loved working with this yarn: Sublime Yarns Organic Merino Wool DK (bought at "the Dump" - 9 skeins for $20!).

I decided to only block the bottom hem because it was curling up (note: next time I will add more than 6 rows for a folded hem with thick-ish yarn - it still really wants to curl). I was afraid blocking the entire sweater would make it much too big for me. Next time I will gauge with a BLOCKED swatch (I can just hear Jennifer saying, "Told you so!").

Before consulting Wendy and Jennifer, I was getting this weird ruching effect when decreasing K1, K2tog around.The K2togs were also looking like a decorative stitch. I was really disappointed. Perhaps if I had had some color work at the yoke, it wouldn’t have been as obvious:


After some frogging and knitting consultation, I reworked the yoke by spreading out the decreases over 4 rows (with 2 plain knit rows in between the 4 - so really over 10 rows total). I also did SSK instead of K2tog. Much, much better:


Thanks again, ladies! Really looking forward to seeing you next week.

1 comment:

Jennifer Rosner said...

wow! looks great! Glad it all worked out. See you soon.
J