Friday, February 1, 2008

Almost There. . .

It's not easy to take a photograph with only one hand. This is the best I could do. I'm almost ready to begin my decreases. Lizbeth Upitis recommends beginning the decreases when you're at the first (top) joint of the middle finger. She says from this point figure an additional length equivalent to about half the width of your mitten. So a 4" wide mitten will have about 2" of decrease length. That seems like a lot to me.

(And yes, I know my cuff is totally out of control. I don't know what I was thinking. My only defense is that I knit the cuffs while sitting at gate 25 of Terminal A of the Philadelphia airport. It was my only solace, so I just kept knitting. And knitting. And knitting.)

I might begin my decreases earlier than that. Like do one more 4-row pattern repeat and then start. I don't want to end up with mittens so long I can't really wear them. You know, like having claw hands or something.

The thumb hole is an entirely other issue. Looks like I'll have a lot of stitches to pick up. This is all a learning process, right?? Stay tuned.

What is that you say? I have to do another one after this?

No comments: