Friday, February 29, 2008

Amazing Stupidity, Amazing Brilliance


I am DONE!!! I am very happy with these mittens. My daughter wants them- she's not getting them:-) They are too special to me. (I will make her another pair.) I love the yarn. I am totally sold on Jamieson's Spindrift. I even bought (at great expense) the shade card.

Ok, so here's a funny story. I really wish I had taken a picture of this. I was about three rows from being done with the second mitten. These are three short rows because it was the thumb. Maybe ten minutes from being done, when I finally noticed that I had been knitting my second mitten with the thumb in the same place as the first mitten. In other words, I had knitted two right hands! How stupid is that?! Especially since I had the other mitten with me the whole time and was using it to compare the patterns. I could not believe how stupid that was. So I had all these complicated plans about removing the thumb and snipping (ha!) my knitting and grafting the thumb back in. But Wendy (and this is where the brilliance comes in) said that all I had to do was rip back the decreases at the top of the mitten and shift the whole thing a quarter turn, and then re-knit the top of the mitten. Saved!! So I did that and now all is well. You can see in the mitten on the right how the jog where the new rows start is now in the palm instead of at the side. But who cares? (I do a little bit, but not enough...)

No comments: