Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Gimme an N. . .O. . .R. . .O

NORO sock yarn! What's it good for? Absolutely nothing! N! O! R! O!

Well, ok, I exaggerate. The new Noro sock yarn is not good for socks, I'm guessing. I knit a small swatch and found the fabric too floppy and shapeless (it's single ply) and I worry it might be too scratchy. I've also read that it tends to bias when knit in the round (also because it's single ply).

So I used it to make another one of my reversible scarves. This is very narrow -- maybe only 4" wide -- and very long. Meant to wrap around the neck a few times and then you can tie it in a bow.





The pattern is a variation of the Indian pillar stitch. Kind of labor-intensive to make but also fun and, yes, reversible. This baby is something like 8 feet long and there's still plenty of yarn left. I'd say thumbs down for socks but thumbs up for a project requiring lace-weight yarn. The color shifts are really cool.

No comments: