Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Very Old Pair of Socks

Hal brought me these socks the other day (I should have taken a picture). One of the heels had a big hole in it. I knit these wooly winter socks for him a very long time ago. Look at them! Why did I do a k2 p2 ribbing on one and a k1p1 ribbing on the other? I have no clue. Also, I have already repaired them once. Where you see the darker blue, including the top of the cuff are all repairs. So I told him that it may be time to part with them. And then he said: " I don't know, Jen. I think these may be the first things you ever knit for me." He HAD to say it! He has always appreciated my knitting. He has also benefited from it and it was sweet that he didn't want to part with these socks. We are talking about socks that are maybe 28 years old. Lately, I am trying to be less sentimental about all our stuff. It's time to part with things, to downsize. But I just couldn't toss them into the trash. So after conferring with Wendy, I came up with a plan to repair them once again.
It was only the heel flap that needed replacing. I just snipped it away and picked up the stitches around where it was. then I knit across the flap and k2tog when ever I got to the gusset edge (Wendy thought part up) and then I just Kitchnered the turned heel to the flap. It worked! The other heel flap is still hanging on, so I left it alone. But I told Hal that he has to baby these socks from now on. No boots or shoes. Slippers and bed only. After all, they are very, very old!

No comments: