Sunday, February 12, 2012

Finishing Argyles

I neglected to to write much of anything in my pattern about finishing the argyles.  That was kind of silly because weaving in all those loose ends and then sewing up the cuff is no easy task.  Especially the sewing.  I designed the argyle pattern so that when you sew it the seam takes up one half stitch on each side and you loose one stitch total to the seam.  That way the argyle pattern in the cuff will be uninterrupted.  This is easier said than done because the stitches are so small.  I used a slightly modified version of the mattress stitch but instead of having a whole stitch as the selvedge, I tried to pick up the bar in the first stitch, making the selvedge a half stitch.  I admit that this was not easy.  You need good light and some magnification would have helped!  But I didn't want to the seam to be too bulky.  So when you sew up your argyles, let me know how it goes.  Then I will write some decent instructions in the pattern. In any event, here's my finished sock.  can you tell that I was limiting myself to yarn in my stash?  It's a little crazy-looking.  But I like it.

No comments: