Thursday, December 27, 2007

Finished!

Behold. The socks. I barely finished them, grafting the toes and sewing in the loose ends in bed on Christmas morning. Karida's Neighborhood Fiber Company Seawool in the Lincoln Park colorway, which is beautiful.


As you can see, the heels are really light. I'd brought along what I thought was enough dark reinforcing and a spare spool of the light color (just in case) and ran out of the dark color before I'd even completed the first heel flap. So after calling around to all the area knitting shops and coming up empty (batting 100?) I ripped that heel flap back, used the light color, added a dark stripe (to harmonize with the striping of the socks) and continued on. As it was, I ran out of all my reinforcing on the very last row of the second sock.

Here's my bro modeling his socks. Below, the first pair I knit him, in "Mineral." He says they're kind of baggy. I think maybe I'm making my heel flaps too long. Or his feet are too small. Or both.

No comments: