Friday, December 14, 2007

The Forest for the Trees


Yarn + needles + glass beads + dried lime peel + cloves + dried lentils:


times a lot of knitting =


This is a good example of the power of gauge, for all of you who hate knitting swatches (you know who you are). This is the exact same pattern using the same number of stitches but in three different yarns knit with three different needle sizes. The tiny trees were knit with Koigu sock yarn on #2's. I got a whopping ten (yes, count 'em, ten) little trees out of one skein. They're all about 3" tall. The mid-size trees I knit with Koigu Kersi on #4's and was able to get five full trees and a shorter one -- so 5 1/2 trees -- out of one skein. The large trees I knit with a thicker wool on #8's and I'll be able to get 5 trees out of one skein. (There are 4 shown in the picture below because I still have the last one to do.)



Now I'm ready to start my brother's socks. Think I'll get them done in time for Christmas? Wagers, anyone?

1 comment:

Jennifer Rosner said...

I love the last picture. It looks like they are thinking of escaping!