Monday, March 12, 2007

Return of the hell flap

So here's a question/conundrum: You know that mistake I made by not knitting the final row of the 't'? Well, I was looking at other vintage patterns and not one of them says "knit final row in pattern" (or even words to that effect) after knitting the center section. They all say "slip last xx stitches to holder." Is it assumed that you have to tie on another bobbin to do that last row? Or is one supposed to remain satisfied with rows that don't match? (WW)

2 comments:

Jennifer Rosner said...

Instead of tying on a bobbin, wouldn't you tie on the whole ball? Aren't you (er..we) about to knit the whole rest of the foot at this point? Not that I have done this yet...I am just about to do it...I am probably full of s*&t.

Jennifer Rosner said...

I guess I'm not explaining it right and I wish I could draw it. At first, you work the wide diamond pattern at the bottom (to become the top of the sock). When you're done, you work the first, what is it, like 16 stitches in your colors, then slip them to a holder. Then you work the middle section, which you will continue. Then it says to slip the last 16 sts. to another holder, without saying working it in the colors (you should have one stitch on each end of your line colors, and all the rest the main color).

*Then* you work the heel flap when you're all finished with your third diamond and turn the heel. *Then* the instructions say to break off this yarn, and tie on a new ball (yes, ball here rather than bobbin), to work the gusset and sole. Seems to me that everything requires tying on a new color. (What a pain.)

But I'm still curious about what you're really supposed to do with that last pattern row of 16 sts. . . (WW)