Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A Latvian Swatch

I know that some of you will think I jumped the gun. I may be the first with a swatch, but I was also the first to encounter and (I hope) solve a few problems. I cast on 30 stitches and I think it was not quite enough. Maybe 40 would be better. One good idea that I didn't even know I was having was when I decided the pattern to knit: Two stitches of each color in a checkerboard. It made counting stitches and finding gauge so easy! I really recommend it. And if you are gearing up to knit two colors at a time, it is a simple pattern to practice on.
I have about 9 stitches per inch. I used #2 dpns and I think I am happy with this gauge.
Another thing: it is impossible to find the center of these center-pull balls! So, I did myself a favor and rolled all the balls on my ball-winder. Now that I know my gauge, I can start to plan my pattern. I promise to stop here and wait for you all to catch up!

No comments: